Friday, February 3, 2012

A Definition for Women Hollering Creek


I can’t believe that I am home now.  It feels weird to be under my father’s roof again.  My father could see the bruising on my arms and back and quickly realized why I had come home.  The woman who picked me up was unlike any other woman that I have met, she was independent.  Her name was Felice, she owned a truck and lived on her own with no man to take care of her.  You know that creek that I told you about?  When we drove away from town on the way to San Antonio we passed over it and Felice let out a loud holler.  At that moment I realized that the name of the creek is what ever each individual decides it to be.  The woman Hollering can be in pain, anger, excitement, turmoil, and any other emotion that compels one to let out a good wail.  For me the creek was La Llorona hollering to leave and save Juan Pedrito and the baby on the way.  The creek is my holler out of pain from the abuse, shame from my marriage, anger for the way Juan Pedro treats our family, and joy for having the courage to leave and save my son.  


Are people in town talking about me?  I took Juan Pedrito to get a Popsicle yesterday so I am sure that the word is out that I am home.  I miss you Chela, hope to see you soon. 

Love,
Cleofílas


No comments:

Post a Comment